The bonsai wiring is a technique by which we will shape our bonsai. In the world of bonsai, 2 types of wire are used mainly, aluminum and copper. Both types of wire can be found in different qualities.
In this article we are going to tell you about the main differences that you should know between aluminum wire and copper wire when making bonsai.
aluminum wire for bonsai
Aluminum wire is the most used mainly due to several factors:
- It is a very cheap wire. At Hugo Bonsai you can find 100-gram wire rolls from €3,50 and 500-gram rolls from €10.50.
- Aluminum wire is very malleable and also does not lose flexibility with the sun, rain, wind...
- It is a "softer" wire so you will have fewer cutting problems with your tools.
copper wire for bonsai
It is a wire that is used mainly in conifers, although it is true that there are hobbyists who use it in more species of trees.
The copper wire is very malleable, but it has the problem that once placed in the bonsai branches, over time, the sun, the rain makes the wire become very rigid and lose all its flexibility. It is for this reason that it is widely used in conifers, since these trees have a very strong growth and the copper wire resists it perfectly.
Our advice, making it clear that it is mere personal opinion, is that you always use aluminum wire, even if you have tiny conifers or their growth is very controlled. You will save a lot of money over time and the utility of the wiring will be the same.
What wire thicknesses can I find?
Wire is probably the accessory for bonsai that we have to buy most frequently, especially if we are forming bonsai. When we already have fully formed and established trees, the consumption of wire decreases drastically.
The normal thing in terms of wire thicknesses is to find the following gauges:
- 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 / 4.5 / 5 / 6 mm
The calibers that we will use the most will be those between 1 and 3.5 millimeters, although this depends a lot on the type of tree that each one has in their collection.
How to choose the right bonsai tool to cut the wire?
At Hugo Bonsai we have several tools that will allow you to cut all gauges of wire, especially when it comes to aluminum.
- Wire cutter pliers. We have 2 models available, the 210mm size and the 180mm pliers. With both pliers you will be able to cut most gauges, although it is true that you will find them uncomfortable tools to cut the thinnest thicknesses such as 1mm.
- Wire cutting scissors. We have 2 options for scissors and they are one of the most sold wire cutting tools:
- Wire Cutting Scissors 125mm. This scissors is very small and comfortable to use. We can easily cut calibers up to 2.5mm.
- Wire Cutting Scissors 160mm. This is our favourite. It is a very versatile scissors that will allow you to cut wires up to 3.5mm.